top of page

Travel Journal: Summer Road Trip, Pt. 4

On the twelfth day, we reached the day of the wedding. The reason for our road trip, you could say. In the morning, we drove along the road on the water, looking at all the fancy houses and where my dad's parent's house used to be (they had a second home up in Hampton - a vacation house - that they recently sold and was torn down). We also went to the beach just for a short while and walked with the sand and water on our feet. As the wedding was happening in the afternoon, we went back to the hotel to get ready and head over to Hampton Beach early for the wedding and as it was the weekend and many people would be heading to the beach. The wedding was all outside underneath one of the shaded structures by the bathrooms. The breeze was beautiful and the wedding was sweet. At night, we ate at the hotel restaurant and played some Heads Up on our room.

The thirteenth day we packed into, and I mean, really packed, into the car and drove to Accord, New York. We stopped at the Harney & Sons in Millerton. We drank some yummy tea and ate sandwiches. Once we got to our Airbnb, which was a quaint old house attached to the owner's new house that had chickens that liked to hide under our car, we headed to the cidery and ate some good food. At the Airbnb, we played some Uno and other card games.

The next morning we drove to Woodstock to hike the Overlook Mountain and Hotel Ruins hike. I won't lie, I complained a lot. I was hoping for a nice easy hike that wouldn't require me to sweat that much, instead I sweat a ton and it was all uphill. I have to say though that the hotel ruins were incredibly cool and the view was amazing. Would I do it again? No, but it was worth it. We looked up photos of what it used to look like "back then" and this is what we found:

After the hike, we were thirsty and hungry, so we headed to the Phoenician Diner and ate some yummy sandwiches and drank some lemonade. At the Phoenicia Diner, I dropped my camera on the lens. I started sobbing, no lie, and thought I broke my camera. Later I "realized" I didn't break the lens like I thought, I just got dirt in it. When I was vacationing in Bellingham, a separate vacation to this one, I realized, "nope, I did break my lens." Thank goodness the lens I broke was the cheapest lens I own, and not my couple thousand dollar camera.

For dinner, we ate at Arrowood Farms and Brewery, a place that is held really special in Heather and David's heart. A place that they want to include in their wedding day. When we got back to the Airbnb, we made s'mores at the outside fire pit, and looked at the stars.

The fifteenth day, we went to Widow Jane Mine in the morning. The mine was an echo-y fun of yelling song lyrics and "you shall not pass!" and "avada kedavra," etc. We ate lunch at Clemson Bros Brewery in New Paltz and drove Heather and David to the train station. We said our goodbyes, and mom, dad and I headed to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. I will say I was incredibly impressed with Breaker Brewing in Wilkes-Barre. It was located in an old church and school. Their beer was incredibly good and so was their food. I highly recommend.



Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page